At the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year, Oak Hill Academy announced its new partnership with the JED Foundation, an organization dedicated to promoting mental health awareness for students and schools. This collaboration tied in well with this year’s theme of Warrior Wellness, and now it is time to ask, how are things going?
After less than a year, Oak Hill Academy is pleased to report a wide array of new initiatives and developments throughout campus. Here are just a few of the warrior wellness projects Oak Hill has accomplished during this time.
- Nutrition: OHA provided instruction on hydration, handed out water bottles and initiated a school-wide competition to promote healthy eating habits
- Art Project: Administrators met with a group of students to design a mural for one of the bathrooms in the academic building, designed by OHA art instructor Dennis Wymer
- Positivity Box: One of the student advisory groups created this fun way to collect positive comments to share with the OHA community
- Fall Festival: Students worked to plan fun events, including the hayride
- Wellness Week: During the dark days of winter, the school rallied to engage in daily wellness activities
- 5K Run and Picnic: Now an annual event, everyone joined together for this fundraiser to support child abuse prevention awareness
- World Vision Dress Down Day: Students and faculty alike supported the fundraiser while enjoying a day out of uniform.
- Field Day: This year’s Warrior Wednesday finale found the school community on the soccer field for an afternoon of games and activities, complete with watermelon and ice pops.
Meanwhile, Oak Hill Academy continues to make plans with the JED Foundation, setting both long term and short term goals to enhance the mental well-being of the entire school community. Here are just a few of the accomplishments from the 2021-2022 school year.
- Equestrian Options for Decreasing Stress
- Mental Health 101 Training
- Peer Mentorship Development
- Parent & Family Book Club on Mood Prep 101
- Plans for Health & Wellness Orientation for 2022-2023
- Residence Life Curriculum Expansion
- Workshop on Adolescent Brain Development for Faculty and Staff
For more good news, check out the Good Morning America report on the 15 million dollar gift JED recently received from Mackenzie Scott, ex-wife of Jeff Bezos.