When we give tours of our 240-acre campus in the Appalachian Mountains of Southwest Virginia, we frequently get two general comments: Many people feel we remind them of a small town where everyone knows each other. That’s true. Most of our faculty and staff (and their families) live on campus, and everyone does know, and looks out for, each other. We also get feedback on how Oak Hill feels like a miniature college campus. That’s true too. We have only 150 students, and they are so busy and engaged that it often feels like a college campus–buzzing with activity. Check out this video to get an idea of what that looks like:
Between the end of the school day and Quiet Hours in the dorms at 8:30 pm, our students go in several directions. Here are some examples:
- On a typical day, 1/4 to 1/3 of our student body has some type of after-school obligation or meeting with teachers. That’s 8th period, tutorials, or after-school study hall.
- As school is dismissed at 3:30, our students run back to the dorm to change out of school uniform, organize their rooms, pick up things they’ll need for practice, etc., video game a little, watch a little TV and, generally, just unwind. This doesn’t last very long, however, because there is lots to do outside the dorm.
- Our Equestrian Center is quite busy after school with barn work and trail rides.
- Practices and clubs, such as art, debate, and music meet. The weight room is open for the guys, and the girls’ dorm fitness center is available.
- The Alumni Campus Store is the place to see your friends and be seen, as well as to pick up groceries for the room or enjoy a snack of pizza or a sandwich with friends on the store’s deck (or around the fireplace in the winter). This space serves as the social hub–like a Student Union would be on a college campus.
- Our library remains open until late in the afternoon and is becoming more of a destination as facility improvements continue and book offerings expand (hint: it also has the strongest WiFi connection on campus).
- In a typical week, there are several van loads of students leaving for off-campus destinations for games, community service opportunities, or faculty advisee fun trips to dinner or a movie. In the winter, these outings include weekly Ski Club trips.
The list continues, but by now you understand there is a lot to do as part of Campus Life at Oak Hill Academy. Many students discover a new passion or pick up an old interest. Extracurriculars are an important part of the balance we seek for our students between academic and social growth. To experience campus life at Oak Hill Academy for yourself, please complete the inquiry form below. We’ll discuss our school and your student and, if we are both encouraged, we can schedule a personal campus tour at your convenience.
Contact the Admission Department at (276) 579-2619 or email@example.com. Or submit the inquiry form below.
Oops! We could not locate your form.